From a live mural by noted muralist Berry Breene to a festive party at Wigle Barrelhouse and Whiskey Garden, NEXT 3 Days is a celebration of all things Troy Hill running from Friday night, October 2nd through Sunday afternoon, October 4th.
(Note: Parking will be available in the Mt. Troy Volunteer Fire Department parking lot at 33 Lonsdale Rd, Pittsburgh, PA 15212. Free shuttle will run continuously from noon to 4 from here to the corner of Lowrie Street and Claim Street, where the N3D Saturday Festival will be taking place. )
Next 3 Days is an innovative event series created by the URA, the Office of the Mayor of Pittsburgh and NEXTpittsburgh to shine a light on the many under-the-radar Pittsburgh neighborhoods that are overlooked in favor of better known places. Affordable, walkable Troy Hill will kick it off with 3 fun-filled days of food, art, music and community, showcasing the affordable housing along with rich history (Pig Hill!) and business opportunities. Troy Hill Citizens, Inc. has helped to create the weekend of festivities, from the Tour de Troy bike ride to the Self-ie Tour to the Open House, and welcomes you to be part of it.
Look for more in the continuing series of NEXT 3 Days and get the inside track to better know your city.
Here’s the lineup with more coming soon.
Friday, October 2: Mix It Up with Troy Hill — 6 to 9 pm
Start your weekend right @ Wigle Whiskey’s Barrelhouse. Everyone is invited to enjoy a fun evening to kick off N3D in style.
Tickets are just $25 and include 2 free drinks–including a signature drink from Wigle Whiskey–along with delicious food from Troy Hill spots such as the upcoming Scratch and Pear & the Pickle Café and Market and outstanding music from Troy Hill’s own Brewer’s Row. (just as they’re about to release their second album). And of course craft beer from local favorite Penn Brewery.
Travel through time with neighborhood projections from Troy Hill’s own Spaces Corners, a cutting-edge space focused on trends in photography, and go retro as you play Barrelhouse Bingo, an homage to the Churches and ladies’ auxiliary clubs.
Buy tickets here!
Day 2: Troy Hill N3D Community Festival
Explore. Tour. Celebrate! From tours of St. Anthony’s Chapel, which has the largest collection of relics outside of the Vatican, to the quirky and fabulous La Hütte Royal (open by appointment only), the one-mile square neighborhood of Troy Hill has a lot to offer. Don’t miss Spaces Corners, an artist-run photobook gallery and project space focused on trends in photography, which will be part of the tour this day. It’s the only place of its kind in Pittsburgh. And of course there’s the famed Rialto St., one of the steepest in Pittsburgh where annually bicyclists test their mettle during the Dirty Dozen.
Walk the very steep steps (or bike if you dare) to the heart of Troy Hill, perched high on a plateau with a stunning view of Pittsburgh. Don’t miss the Troy Hill mural on the way. There will be great food, including a bakeoff judged by Rick Sebak and Leah Lizarondo, arts, and lively music and, of course, a very welcoming group of neighbors.
Here’s the lineup for Saturday which runs from noon to 4 pm. (See more details below)
- Live local music, including Big Gypsy, David Bowens (gospel singer) and Grooveshifter and local choirs
- An open street festival with local food and drink from Penn Brewery, Scratch, Pear and the Pickle Café and Market, and other local eateries & churches
- Tour de Troy bike ride through the neighborhood by BikePGH.
- Most Holy Name’s Oktoberfest featuring traditional German music, food, & merriment
- Troy Hill Bake-Off! with none other than Rick Sebak and Leah Lizarondo judging.
- Sidewalk sale and book launch at Spaces Corners with a special pop up coffee shop with fresh baked goods from Pear and the Pickle Café and Market
- Interactive tours and activities with the organizations making Troy Hill shine
- Self(ie) Guided Tour & Guide to Troy Hill Businesses
- Tours of the famed St. Anthony Chapel, a destination for visitors from around the world
- Live Storytelling booth for visitors and residents
- Historical photography exhibits from Troy Hill Stories
- Open air flea markets at the Troy Hill VFW and Most Holy Name
- Kids crafts, facepainting, activities and more with Assemble!
Day 3: Be Our N3D Neighbor: Home & Real Estate Tour