More than 40,000 runners will take to the streets of Pittsburgh for the 2019 DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon weekend of events from May 3-5. Not running this year? There are still so many fun ways to experience race day without needing to put on your running shoes.
“The Pittsburgh Marathon truly unites the City of Pittsburgh – you don’t have to be a runner to participate and celebrate in some capacity,” said P3R CEO Patrice Matamoros. “Whether you’re volunteering to hand out water along the course or you just want to come out and cheer on the runners from your front porch ― if you are part of Pittsburgh, you are part of the Pittsburgh Marathon.”
Here are 10 ways you can be a part of the biggest single event staged annually in the City of Pittsburgh!
- Help MOVE Runners to the Finish Line – Volunteers are the heart and “sole” of race weekend, and more than 4,000 volunteers annually lend their time to help make race weekend a success. From handing out water at a fluid station, distributing shirts at the Expo or giving medals to runners at the finish line, you can find a volunteer position perfect for you during race weekend. To see what positions are available and to sign up, visit www.thePittsburghMarathon.com/volunteering.
- Join the 26.2 Mile Tailgate Party – Each of the 14 neighborhoods along the course hosts an Official Neighborhood Festival with live music, entertainment, giveaways and more. Visit ThePittsburghMarathon.com to pick out your cheering spot in your favorite neighborhood.
- Watch Future Olympians Run Past Your Front Porch – This year’s race doubles as the USATF Half Marathon Championship and is also a USA Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier. Top American runners will race the streets of Pittsburgh in hopes of earning a national crown and a piece of the $85,000 prize purse. This may be your only chance to see an Olympian compete before he or she heads to Tokyo in 2020!
- Visit the GNC Live Well Health and Fitness Expo – More than 85 vendors will be on hand this year, bringing Pittsburgh the latest fitness products, nutritional supplements and workout gear at the GNC Live Well Health and Fitness Expo at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. Shop for shoes, socks, technical clothing and running accessories at the official DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon race weekend store. You can also get free samples and giveaways, as well as autographs and advice from some of the biggest names in running.
- Register your Pet for the Pittsburgh Pet Walk – Bring your favorite furry friend to the Blue Buffalo Pittsburgh Pet Walk in Point State Park during our family-friendly day of events on Saturday, May 4. Attendees and their pets could win awards and prizes for cutest pet, pet/owner look-a-like and best costume!
- Show off your Creativity with a Sign – Join the 300,000+ spectators who line the streets on race day with over 1,000 signs! Whether it’s motivational, funny or a shout out to your best friend, your creative sign will help motivate runners to push forward when they are hitting the wall and need a little extra support.
- Cheer on your Favorite Runner as a VIP – Upgrade your spectator experience by purchasing the VIP Spectator Experience. Enjoy a catered breakfast, a post-race party, reserved seating at the finish line, a limited-edition VIP merchandise item and more.
- Support Charity Runners – Each year, charity runners raise more than $1.5 million for local and national charities – 90% of all funds raised stays right here in the Pittsburgh area! Check out this year’s participants who are making a difference and consider making a donation to their cause.
- Show off your Pittsburgh Spirit to Out-of-Towners – Crowd support is a big reason why the DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon is one of the country’s fastest growing races. This year’s runners are flying in from 47 states and 23 countries. You’ll get to see runners from all over the world, including the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy and even Australia. On race day, wear your black and gold and show these out-of-towners the spirit of Pittsburgh.
- Rock out to Live Music – A record 55 bands will line the course to entertain and motivate runners as they trek 26.2 miles throughout the city. From country to hip hop, and instrumental surf rock to soul funk, there’s something for everyone one to enjoy.
For more information about the 2019 DICK’S Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon weekend of events, visit www.thePittsburghMarathon.com.