The Pittsburgh Foundation and the law firm Jones Day are launching a free webinar series on April 9 about essential business and financial issues facing our nonprofit community. The speakers include legal counsel that they believe many smaller nonprofits would never otherwise be able to access.
“During this unprecedented public health and economic crisis, we at The Pittsburgh Foundation are keenly aware that hundreds of nonprofit organizations across the Pittsburgh region are struggling to find resources to deliver on their missions and position themselves for recovery,” said President and CEO Lisa Schroeder in a press release.
“While our Foundation and other area philanthropies have established the Emergency Action Fund to provide some immediate financial support, nonprofit leaders are also asking for a guide map that will direct them to government resources and to answers on complex policy and workplace questions.”
The Pittsburgh Foundation is partnering with other organizations, including six other foundations, the United Way and Grantmakers of Western PA, along with the law firm Jones Day and other local and national experts to create a webinar series addressing the issues that nonprofit leaders tell them are at the top of their need-to-know list.
“The goal is to provide nonprofits the same kind of world-class information that large, private-sector organizations are receiving, tailored to the needs of the nonprofit community. We will be recording the presentations to create a ‘library’ that can be shared with other community foundations (and their local networks) across the country,” said Laura Ellsworth, board member at the Pittsburgh Foundation and partner-in-charge at Jones Day.
Beginning Thursday, April 9, experts from throughout the region and beyond will present one-hour webinars on topics including:
- The federal CARES Act and state and local resources;
- Workforce management issues facing nonprofits;
- Policy changes that impact the delivery of essential human services;
- Programs that assist in issues such as childcare services, housing and eviction;
- Updates on Commonwealth and federal legislation and executive orders/actions relating to the COVID-19 response and the interests of nonprofits;
- Practical advice on operational issues (employment, insurance coverage, board communication, remote operations);
- Substantive issues including eviction, family law, contracts, fraud schemes, bankruptcy and access to courts; and
- Strategies for financial survival (small business loans, paycheck protection, cash management).
- Jones Day Partner Jim Urban, a nationally recognized expert in employment and labor issues;
- Randy Vulakovich, senior principal, government relations, Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC and Matt Smith, president of the Greater Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce;
- Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro and Western District U.S. Attorney Scott Brady;
- Jones Day Partner Cathy Livingston, advising on key sections of federal relief legislation for nonprofits;
- Jones Day Partners Alexis Gilroy and Maureen Bennett, national experts on using Telehealth Technology to meet critical health and educational needs during the crisis period.