No place has more going for it on any given weekend than the North Side.
For the sports fans among us, it’s home to the beloved Pirates at PNC Park and the six-time Super Bowl champs–the Steelers–at Heinz Field. For art and theater lovers and seekers of knowledge, museums and theaters abound, including the world-class Andy Warhol Museum, the incomparable Mattress Factory, the experimental New Hazlett Theatre and the always inventive and fun Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh.
Whether you live there or are a regular to the North Side, know that the name really refers to the area north of downtown along the Allegheny and Ohio rivers that is made up of a patchwork of 18 distinct neighborhoods with two council districts, one and six, running through it.
Having suffered its share of setbacks through the years, largely a result of decades of neglect that led to urban blight, the North Side is coming back in a big way. The dust of new construction and reconstruction is everywhere.
Both longtime and newer residents call these neighborhoods home, whether its Deutschtown with its breweries and German-singing societies or the Mexican War Streets with carefully restored row houses, Greek revival doorways and streets named after the battles of the Mexican War.
On the plateau is Troy Hill home of historic landmarks including St. Anthony’s Chapel, built in 1880, which houses the largest store of relics in the world outside of the Vatican. Nowhere but Manchester has such fine urban Victorian homes, some beautifully restored, some awaiting TLC.
Many of the community’s newer residents make their homes along the North Shore where lofts and condominiums take advantage of spectacular river and downtown views. The North Side offers an active lifestyle and plenty of green space, from parks to easy access to the riverfront bike trails and kayak rentals, an increasingly favorite pastime. Look for more North Side neighborhoods in NEXTpittsburgh soon.
More North Side News
- Pitt-trained dentist Britt Baker and a Belle Vernon festival give wrestling fans a reason to smile
- You could avoid the rush to Heinz Field if proposed North Shore apartments join the block
- Eat Your Veggies opening on the North Side this summer, but join Get Healthy Pittsburgh! while you wait
- Riverlife’s $246.8 million plan would create 15-mile loop of trails, parks and even a river barge for swimming
- 10 more great places in Pittsburgh for soup you won’t forget
- Spring into these 28 new and soon-to-open restaurants, bars and cafes
- The NEXT Beer: Shorty’s Pins x Pints brings nostalgia to the North Shore
- Pittsburgh Pirate Ship will sail into the season with a larger vessel and a liquor license
- Insider look at Carnegie Museum of Art’s prestigious 58th Carnegie International
- New apartment tower will make you feel like you are living at PNC Park