After a pandemic pause, live music is back in action and this year’s Allegheny County Summer Concert Series is shaping up to be a big welcome back party.
All of the concerts will take place at either the South Park Amphitheater or Hartwood Acres Amphitheater starting at 7:30 p.m., rain or shine. The events are free, but a requested $20 donation per vehicle benefits the Allegheny County Department of Human Services.
Since there are no covered seats at the open-air venues, spectators are invited to bring blankets and folding chairs — along with pop-up tents and umbrellas for shade, which must be taken down before the concert begins. Dogs are also permitted, but they must remain leashed at all times and be up-to-date on vaccinations and licensing.
Pack a picnic basket and patronize Black Dog Wine Company or Hop Farm Brewing Company, which will have mobile units on-site.
River City Brass kicks off the season at South Park Amphitheater (3700 Farmshow Dr.) in the South Hills. Pittsburgh Opera does the honors at Hartwood Acres (4070 Middle Road) in Allison Park.
South Park concerts
- June 3: River City Brass
- June 10: Joe Grushecky & The Houserockers
- June 17: Vanessa Collier
- June 24: Buffalo Rose
- July 2: Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (starts at 8:15 p.m.)
- July 8: Still Surfin’
- July 15: Brett Dennen
- July 22: Special EFX
- July 29: BoDeans
- Aug. 5: Tyler Farr
- Aug. 12: Cello Fury
- Aug. 19: Soul Asylum
- Aug. 26: Kathleen Edwards
- Sept. 2: Gene the Werewolf with special guest The Paul Luc Band
Hartwood Acres concerts
- June 5: Pittsburgh Opera
- June 12: Deutschtown Goes to Hartwood featuring The Bill Henry Band, Working Breed, & NASH.V.ILL
- June 19: Father’s Day Car Cruise featuring King Solomon Hicks
- June 26: Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre
- July 3: Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (starts at 8:15 p.m.)
- July 10: Midnight Star
- July 17: Summer of Love
- July 24: North Mississippi Allstars
- July 31: The Regrettes
- Aug. 7: John Pizzarelli Swing Seven
- Aug. 14: Allison Russell
- Aug. 21: Michael Franti & Spearhead with special guest Arrested Development
- Aug. 28: The Tamburitzans
- Sept. 4: 22nd Annual Allegheny County Music Festival Jam Fest featuring Pink Talking Fish and special guests Dogs in a Pile and theCAUSE
Can’t get enough in-person tunes? The Dollar Bank Three Rivers Arts Festival features free concerts June 3-12.
For more live music, read 19 concerts coming to Pittsburgh this May, including Pittonkatonk and the Millvale Music Festival.